Saturday 15 June 2013

172 Hours On The Moon - Jonah Harstad

To start, I'm going to be all-out honest, this is a horror book, if even the slightest thing manages to keep you awake and frightened at night, do not consider this book, it scared the pants off me, but it was an excellent book.

Jonah Harstad's novel is amazing. For the most part - the book was happy and no horror was in the genre, then you get to the Moon. I wanted to put it down because this stuff really bugs me, but the book was just so amazing, I found myself unwilling to put it down.

The story revolves around three teens - Mia, Midori, and Antoine. They all come from different parts of the world, and have problems that are different. I found the problems really cheesy as well as the way the author described the characters and their lives prior to the main theme of the novel. It just didn't go well with me, and if not for the moon landing I knew was coming, I'd have returned it to the store.

I didn't regret not returning it, as soon as the moon landing training came up I loved it. Starting with a freaky woman in the locked stall of an airport bathroom, and ending with several murders, on and off the moon, the horror part was excruciatingly exciting. I wanted to put it down because the horror was scaring me to bits (and it was 2am, I read late into the night) but I wanted to know what happened next, so I didn't dare put that book down.

As I mentioned earlier, my main problem with the book was the, I dare say it, cheesiness (insert funny pizza joke here). When introducing Mia and her love of music, I was sure that things wouldn't of been the way they were. Realism in a book is really important to me, and it's the reason I did not love this book, and only like the book.

See you on another day, wizards!

No comments:

Post a Comment